Sunday, April 4, 2010

Why Don't You Write a Story?

I've been creating dolls for about 20 years now; the first dolls for my kids before our move to Colorado, with the intention of my children having a companion on our long drive west. Considering all the dolls I've made [now 704] I've never created a story to go with a doll. People have asked me why I don't create a story or give each doll a name............mainly for the purpose of "advertising or kitschy drama" to generate a sale. I've given this idea a lot of thought. My reasons for not giving each doll a name are these: I believe that everyone who buys a doll or is given a doll has the right or the honor to name it. The doll's life or story should be created by the child or the adult who holds it. When that person squeezes the doll and gazes into the dolly's face, a story unfolds and a connection is formed...........on it's own without my assistance or direction.
See here on the right!

A connection such as this in the play therapists office is........the most important connection.......... each child creates a scenario that allows them to move through whatever trauma they need to move through.

In a child's arms in their own 'playrooms' that connection is also important; a bond, an attachment to someone else, a safe friend who doesn't judge, a buddy on a long trip, or a confidant to share their dreams, their secrets, and their woes.

Who am I to name a doll for you or to create a life for them before you arrive? With any luck, each doll that I create will have a personality that captures just the right person finding a home that is good for them.

I awoke with an idea today! Not an uncommon occurrence; what if you send me an outfit that was your favorite when your child was growing up; you tell me what color hair, eyes, and skin color and I create a doll just for you and your family! Of course, it will never be duplicated as with my other dolls. I have never been willing to make the same doll over and over; each doll is one of a kind! The most important element here is that you get to choose an outfit from the start. Just a thought.
Let me know what you think..........

One of the things that I really appreciate about these dolls is that generally, they are not so 'gender specific'. If you or your children like, you can put on clothes that will depict a boy or girl; put on a hair clip or a bow to identify as boy or a girl; you can add glasses and a necktie or a fancy skirt. What if the doll gets dirty? These dolls are very easy to clean up; if the fingers and toes get dirty or you get a smudge on his/her face, just use a cloth with light soap and water to clean up. If the whole doll is in need of a washing; put the wash cycle on gentle, place your little doll in a pillow case and pin or tie closed. While it tumbles and turns in the washing machine the hair is protected, the painted eyes will not come off, and the body comes out clean! If after time, you find the wear and tear on the "hair-do" is too much, I will make a repair! Let me know, we can speak about the how-to's to get repairs done. You can e-mail me or contact me through this site.

As you can see, no two dolls look alike.............that's the way I like it. Chances are I will continue creating dolls because I love making them. I think they have many purposes and they seem to make people happy. I know they make me happy! I hope to hear from you now and then.

Off to paint some umbrellas to keep the summer sun off your face! I will share the newly finished umbrellas next post!

Enjoy the day, Happy Easter!
EC Hanson

1 comment:

louella said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA! I'm sold!