Monday, June 15, 2009

On Writing...

“Why don’t she write?”is a line from the movie Dances with Wolves. It’s the scene where the guide and the Lieutenant come upon a wagon done-in ……… those of you who know the movie will remember the scene. It’s a great line. I awakened this morning thinking about that line.

I make cards, one-of-a-kind cards. They are beautiful, but a waste of time if no one uses them. As I try to figure out how to market my cards I came to this realization; people don’t write letters and cards anymore. E-mail has made it so quick and easy that in a matter of minutes…………..in seconds a person can get a message to anyone and it won’t cost a stamp or a trip to the mailbox. They do send e-cards and animated cards so easily that it makes what I do almost extinct. I don't dislike e-mail or receiving an e-card. It keeps people from real time, face to face stuff. I think the internet has changed the ‘intimacy level’ in a friendship not good or bad different. It eliminates that anticipation when one receives a letter........from a friend not the IRS! You know that feeling, nice paper, wonder, texture, noting the return address........Oh, it’s my friend in Colorado! The acts of opening the envelope and pulling out a hand-made card; looking at the image and feeling that your friend took the time to find an image with you in mind and sat down to think about you.............that's a good feeling, it’s about being present, in the moment.....on purpose.

Here’s the thing…………..when I choose a card, sit down, write a note, I am making choices. In those simple acts I move with intention. I chose to take that time to consider my friend; what might she like in a card? What will catch her eye? By sitting down, with pen in hand, I create a distant “face to face.” Are we too busy to take a moment……..or ten from our day? I know I had been. That MAY be the reason I left my job [didn't have any time] now I do and I make cards!

The act of putting pen to paper may seem foreign……it’s fun! I love writing notes. I use a #2 pencil or a pen that really allows the ink to flow. Anyone who has ever received a letter from me will confirm the fact, I write big and move through a word or a thought in a “full body” motion! It is very liberating.

The point is this; when I take the time to acknowledge someone I stop, get my tools and put my thoughts to paper it means something to me. It’s a way for me to show they are on my mind and they matter. It is one of the ways that I “live with intention”; it’s a way to slow down so I don’t miss the good stuff; it’s like giving someone a smile and a hug freely.

Think about it and give someone a smile and a hug………send a note......it matters!

Just a thought,

EC

3 comments:

louella said...

I LOOOOVE THIS. It's so true and it's exactly why my friends who send letters are the closest to me, no matter how far away they are . . .

Open Range Hide Company said...

very true momma!!! I love very letter I get from you, all of em are on my wall! see you in a couple days

Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

Very beautifully said! People need to take the time to write to those that are dear to them -- we all would rather have that personal touch. Notes also make some very important lasting memories tht we can always go back to, touch and be connected to that date, person or item.